Monday, May 13, 2013

simple strawberry crisp


Some mornings call for a sweet treat. Sweets are my favorite, hands down. No matter what time of the day or how much I've already eaten, I always have room for dessert! When I came across this recipe while reading Shauna Niequist's Bittersweet (a must read, along with her other 2 books Bread & Wine and Cold Tangerines) I knew I had to make it! Her recipe calls for blueberries but any berry/fruit that you have on hand or prefer would be equally delicious (I used strawberries since I had them). I tweaked her recipe just a little since I didn't have all of the ingredients but was determined to make it work!

Simple Strawberry Crisp

4 cups berries/fruit

1 cup old fashioned oats

1/2 cup pecans

1/2 cup almond meal

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 tsp salt

Pour fruit into the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Combine remaining ingredients to form the topping and pour over fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden. 

*Notes: I didn't have any pecans, so I used extra almonds instead. To make the almond meal, simply blend whole almonds in a food processor until fine. Since I was almost out of maple syrup, I just used 1/8 cup maple syrup and 1/8 cup raw local honey. In place of the olive oil, I used 1/4 cup coconut oil. I also added about a tablespoon or so of ground flaxseed just for some extra omega-3's! 

This recipe is so simple, versatile, and delicious! I love when I find recipes that use whole, natural ingredients and I wish there was a way to share how heavenly our house smells right now! This crisp would be great as a dessert or--as I am enjoying it now--a sweet start to the day! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment