Tuesday, June 04, 2013

bittersweet changes.

Several changes have occurred since my last post. Dustin and I have moved from our first home in our hometown in the Bluegrass to the Land of Lincoln (Kentucky to Illinois, for those of you who are unaware of the states' nicknames). Our move was because of a recent career change that Dustin experienced. He graduated from the University of Kentucky and has worked as an electrical engineer for a few years now. When the opportunity to pursue another career path arose, and after many prayers and discussions, we decided that accepting a new job with Monsanto as a district sales manager was the direction God was leading us. This decision was not an easy one to make-- the majority of our family and friends live within a 40 minute radius of our previous home. In fact, Dustin had lived on the same road for all of his life! Our new area is only an hour and a half to two hours from most of our family now, which really isn't all that bad compared to the distances others experience. But for two home-bodies, it was a leap of faith!

The moving process has gone well! We are beyond thankful for not only this opportunity, but the support our family and friends have given us. Our parents have helped us so much through their encouragement, advice, guidance, and physical labor. Some dear friends came and helped unpack the day we moved and many others have built us up during this bittersweet time. We so appreciate the prayers! We know that God has plans for us and that they are GOOD!

Our puppies Chloe & Callie in the front window. They alert of us of any movement outside! 
On Sunday we visited a new church, some of our parents came for a visit and helped unpack. We were able to set up some of our decorations and things that help make a house feel like a home. I don't exactly know how to describe my style. I love a lot of vintage-y/classic things like milk glass, cross stitch, old books, monograms, family hand-me-downs, etc. Dustin is a hunter, which I fully support and love about him, so that means we have some antlers, fur, and feathers in our house. I also like pops of color and modern patterns/pieces as well. Basically I guess I have an eclectic taste. Dustin made the comment that none of our furniture matches--which it doesn't. But I like it that way. They go together because they don't match. If that makes any sense.

Dustin's mom shared this ecard yesterday & tagged us-- so true! 

I love homemade artwork and decorations from travels! 

Dustin's great-grandmother Hayden's china. I'm so thankful to display it!

I love lighting candles to get a home-y feel & a yummy smell! 

The Curtsinger family Bible & history book and a pig my Nana gave me.
Yesterday we hit up the ice cream shop in town. We LOVE ice cream! While there are boxes that remain unpacked, walls that still need decorating, and the town that needs to be explored, I am thankful for this new chapter of our lives. I know that it all won't happen in a day, but over time.

Dustin's chocolate dipped chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream cone!
I recently read a book that I mentioned in my first post, Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist. In her book, she highlights various points in her life that were bitter and sweet-- moving, traveling, miscarriages, losing jobs, pregnancies, spending time with family, cooking for friends, etc. One of my favorite lines from the whole book is, "When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. When life is bitter, say thank you and grow." This is a great reminder to be thankful in each season of life. Any sweet time is a gift from God and we should praise Him. Any season or change that is difficult, we must also cling to and praise Him in the bitter circumstances. In my quiet time this morning, I was reading in 1 Thessalonians. In the fifth chapter, Paul writes that we should "Be joyful always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (verse 16). God knows I need reminders of the same theme or lesson! I love when I read or hear reminders of the things He is teaching me. I know that these are not the only changes we will experience. My prayer that we will face each one with joyfulness, a prayerful attitude, and thankfulness. Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment