Wednesday, February 19, 2014

the breakfast club


I'm a morning person for sure.

I wake up early, enjoy a cup of coffee or two while adding to my 1000 gifts list, read in my Bible, spend time in prayer, get ready for work if it's a work day, and have breakfast before I leave.  In that order. 99% of the time. I'm also a stickler for routine.

I definitely can tell this regimen sets the tone for my day. If I press "snooze" too many times, rush through my quiet time, or miss breakfast, the rest of the day seems to be off a bit. Without a doubt, I need my Daily Bread to give me spiritual fuel to start my routine. To be honest, I also need little "scripture snacks" throughout day to keep going. One of my favorite quotes I've read about Bible reading is:

The Bible is meant to be bread, for daily use; not cake for special occasions. 

So true and so convicting! If I miss my time in the Word, I have noticed my attitude is affected-- my patience runs thin, my worries linger longer, and my heart just feels heavier.

Similarly, if I miss my breakfast-- I'm talking actual, physical food now-- I experience negative results: my energy is lacking, my mind is focused more on the next meal than the tasks at hand, and I'm usually not very pleasant.

One question I often ask my patients is "What do you eat for breakfast?" I have received lots of responses--some I like to hear and some are less than desirable...

"I don't like breakfast...
I don't have time for breakfast...
Coffee...
A well balanced breakfast...
Whatever my spouse/parent/roommate fixes...
Whatever drive-thru line is shortest..."
and many more...

Starting our day on the right note spiritually and nutritionally is so important! Here are some simple, quick, and nourishing breakfast ideas to fuel your day and set you up for success. I think we forget sometimes that our bodies actually need and use what we put in them in order to work. Would you ever put anything but gasoline in your vehicle's gas tank? Would you expect your vehicle to run efficiently with very little gas in the tank? Likewise, if we put junk, or very little nutrients, in our body, our bodies will not function as they should.

My go-to breakfast ideas: 
-Eggs: The perfect protein and full of healthy vitamins. I love them boiled, scrambled, and over easy. I also love preparing a quiche or frittata over the weekend to eat on for a few days. You can also boil several at a time and store in the fridge for when you are in a hurry or on the go. 

-Veggies: Aim to have veggies at every meal. The minerals and vitamins they provide are so important! Sauté some dark leafy greens. Reheat leftovers from last night's roasted veggies. Keep frozen diced peppers and onions in your fridge for easy additions to your meals. 

-Fruit: The original fast food. Keep apples, oranges, bananas, and berries on hand. Avocados are also a favorite alongside a breakfast sauté-- plus they add great healthy fat! Eat your fruit alongside your breakfast or blend into a smoothie! 

-LaraBars: I try to limit my convenience foods to ones that contain real ingredients. I like knowing what I am eating. Every now and then, when they are on sale at Kroger, I grab a few LaraBars to have for snacks or quick breakfasts. 

-Nut butters: Enjoy in a smoothie or with fresh fruit.

-Plain Greek Yogurt: Mix with fresh fruit or add to a smoothie.

-Leftovers: I used to think breakfast had to be "classic" breakfast foods. I now think outside of the box. Sometimes this means enjoying last night's supper again as breakfast, or at least reconstructed into breakfast. Get creative with your meals and repurpose your ingredients. 

Who else doesn't always use their time efficiently in the mornings? I am guilty of this! Maybe you check your email/social media and spend a little too much time. Maybe you start reading and lose track of the time. Maybe you're a chronic snooze-presser. Maybe you just take too long in the shower. Most of these breakfast ideas take 5-10 minutes to prepare if you have everything prepped and ready to go. I know a drive-thru takes much longer, costs more, and gives very little nutritional value. Plan ahead. Write down your meal ideas. Keep healthy items on hand. Designate one day to be your prep day and chop veggies for omelets/scrambles. Prepare a breakfast casserole to eat on all week. Make it your priority to fuel your body for a successful day. 

If you haven't joined "the breakfast club," give it a chance. Your body will thank you!

Also, if you haven't begun spending time in the Word each day, it will change your heart and life. Remember: it is our Daily Bread. 

What does your morning routine look like? Do you have a go-to breakfast idea? I would love to hear it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment