Monday, March 10, 2014

classic hummus

I love dips-- salsa, guacamole, spinach and artichoke, queso, hummus, you name it. I love the combo of dips and the dippers too-- chips, pitas, veggies, fruit. Many of these can be store bought for convenience; however, I enjoy preparing my own too. Food Network is without a doubt my favorite channel and one of their new shows is also becoming a favorite as well! On Saturday mornings, The Kitchen airs and I love watching it. Four food experts share their tips, ideas, and recipes in a talk-show format. It is so entertaining and informative! A couple weekends ago, Katie Lee shared her take on a classic hummus and I couldn't wait to try it! I followed her recipe exactly, except I used curry powder for a garnish instead of paprika. It is so easy and so delicious!

Classic Hummus
recipe courtesy of Katie Lee

2 cans chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
paprika or curry powder for garnish
veggies or pitas for dipping

Blend the first five ingredients in a food processor. While the dip is blending, drizzle in the olive oil until smooth. Garnish with more olive oil and paprika or curry. Serve with your choice of dippers! 

Notes: This recipe makes a ton of hummus! I stored some in a larger container for home and also filled several small, individual containers to take to work with my lunch. Also, tahini is somewhat pricy, but the flavor really makes the hummus. Keep in mind, hummus is more than a dip--you can use it as a spread on a sandwich or wrap. This basic recipe will definitely be used again and again in our home! I can't wait to try adding more flavors and ingredients like roasted red peppers, spinach and artichokes, and some more spices! 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment