Friday, August 02, 2013

waiting.


We've all been there. Maybe you're there now. Waiting. Waiting for school to be over already. Waiting to graduate. Waiting for that vacation that's been planned for months. Waiting for that perfect relationship to come along. Waiting for the job you've always wanted. Waiting for the pain from hurt feelings to go away. Waiting to feel settled in and connected in a new place. Waiting for test results to return that provide hope rather than despair. Waiting for a family. Waiting for the sickness to end. Waiting for a moment's rest because there just aren't enough hours in the day. Waiting for the joy that is promised to come in the morning.

Waiting isn't ever enjoyable. I can't say that I have ever been glad when I go to an appointment or out to eat and the receptionist or hostess tells me that my wait is going to be longer. Really?? I'm already hungry and you're telling me that I have to wait even longer to get my cheese dip?? You know the feeling! Regardless of how I feel about it, waiting is inevitable. It is a part of life-- our moms are always right! What I am starting to learn now is that my attitude while I am waiting is my choice. I can choose to be impatient, bitter, frustrated, disappointed, and a lot of other negative feelings. Honestly, I have felt all of those. But I can also choose to cling to the One who promises hope and a future. I can look for ways to praise Him in the midst of the waiting. I can thank Him for all he has done, is doing, and will do because there is always something to be thankful for. When I shift my focus from me, to Him, my attitude shifts as well. Of course there are moments when I share with God my feelings of disappointment or despair. I believe that He wants us to be real with Him! But I also feel like we could be missing His voice in our lives when we are caught up in our frustrations while waiting. I know I have been so blinded to the blessings around me because I was so fixated on the thing I was waiting for. Lordplease help us keep our eyes on You. One way that helps me keep my focus on Him is time each morning in His Word. Starting my day with a fresh cup of coffee and my Daily Bread has drastically changed my outlook and walk with Christ. Having His Word and Truth to focus on and remember throughout the day is so strengthening, especially in times of waiting.

I've mentioned before that I feel that God knows I need multiple reminders of lessons He is teaching me. Often I feel those lessons come through music. While I have zero vocal abilities and minimal musical talent--although I played a mean clarinet in middle school band (Go woodwinds!)--I love music of all genres. I am especially partial to country. One of my earliest memories is being at my Nana's and standing in front of the tv singing along to the CMT music videos-- Shania, Diamond Rio, Alabama, Martina, Faith, you know who I'm talking about! I have also always loved hymns and the songs played on Christian radio stations. The combination of beautiful notes and words of truth is heavenly. Several of our wedding songs were hymns that have been my all-time favorites-- Be Thou My Vision, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Holy Holy Holy, and more. I am an emotional person, without a doubt, and the words in the songs we sing on Sundays (& throughout the week if you listen to the radio or your iTunes) often moves me to tears because they highlight God's beautiful, never-ending love for and devotion to us. A couple of songs have recently been on my heart to share with you. They have helped me tremendously in my times of waiting.

The first is "Help Me Find It" by Sidewalk Prophets. The lyrics are just perfect. "...If there's a road I should walk, help me find it. If I need to be still, give me peace for the moment..."


The second is "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller. Again, beautiful lyrics. "...While I'm waiting, I will serve you. While I'm waiting, I will worship, While I'm waiting…"


What is so awesome about these songs is that I seem to hear them so often when I get in my car. The good thing about listening to Christian radio/Pandora/Spotify/etc is that you will always be encouraged and reminded of truth. For a while there, literally every time I got into the car I heard "Help Me Find It." That is not an exaggeration. For some, hearing the same song over and over would drive them nuts but in this case I was so thankful to hear that message repeatedly.

It has been on my heart for a while now to share these words and songs with you so I had to do it this morning. I hope that they are as comforting to you as they are to me. While we wait, let's choose to worship and serve. While we wait, I pray that God will give us peace for the moment. I would love to hear what songs or verses are helpful to you in moments of waiting. Please share!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment