Sunday, September 06, 2015

teach them to your children.


Sometimes I get so excited thinking about all the things I can't wait for Charlotte to learn and for us to teach her.

I can't wait to teach her how to crack an egg or measure out sugar for a recipe.

I can't wait to show her how to use her crayons to create works of art on her coloring pages. (& hopefully not the walls!)

I can't wait for Dustin to teach her how to kick a soccer ball. (Y'all know I could show her the wrong way to do anything sports related. I'll stick to cheerleading!)

I look forward to her daddy teaching her gun safety, how to bait a hook, and all about the great outdoors.

I can't wait to see her peddling down the driveway as she learns how to ride a bike. I get teary eyed thinking about the day she drives away in a car!

I can't wait to teach her about the seasons, the weather, the stars and the moon.

I look forward to teaching her how to swim, tie her shoes, read a book, and write her name.

Oh the fun we will have learning how to garden, send notes in the mail, paint our nails, and take care of animals.

Of course we will need help along the way. No one can dance in our family like Aunt Micah. G-Dad (Dustin's dad) can fix pretty much anything. Aunt Jess has the best sense of style. I could go on and on. Little CC is surrounded with talented family and friends.

More than anything I've listed above, I pray we teach Charlotte the love of Christ and raise her according to His Word.

In the times we mess up, and we do that often, I pray we show her grace. In our words. In our actions. In our apologies. To her and to others.

Today is the baby dedication service at our church. In front of our families and friends we will vow to raise Charlotte according to scripture. What a privilege and responsibility it is to be her parents. Charlotte Lee, we love you more than words can say and our Heavenly Father loves you infinitely more than that.

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. 
{Deuteronomy 11:18-20}

No comments:

Post a Comment