Friday, February 20, 2015

spring is coming



It's been a long, cold, snowy week here in Kentucky. We have experienced record low temperatures and more snow than we have seen in a while. I haven't left the house since Sunday. I'm clumsy enough without the change in my center of gravity thanks to Baby C. Ice/snow would not combine well with this uncoordinated, pregnant lady.

I can tell I am feeling a bit stir crazy. I've taken time to rest, cook, and unpack a few more boxes. I think Dustin is even nesting, maybe more than I am-- painting in the nursery, touching up a few places, planning projects he wants to complete.

March 20th, one month from today, marks the first day of spring. Oh how I look forward to the season of pretty pastels, beautiful blooms, and lovely signs of life all around us! As I find our spring things while I unpack, I can't help but get especially excited. This new season on the calendar will also be a special new season in our lives as we welcome our first baby-- very likely within that week! Words can't express my feelings right now when I think about how soon she will be with us. Probably because I'm having all the feelings! I'm thrilled, anxious, happy, thankful, emotional, you name it! Just ask Dustin-- he's put up with all my feelings.

In just a few weeks, spring will be here.
In just a few weeks, our family of two will be a family of three.
In just a few weeks, we will be momma and daddy to our daughter.
In just a few weeks, I will be holding a wiggling baby girl instead of feeling her kicks in my belly.
In just a few weeks, life as we know it will change.

As ecstatic as I am for her arrival, I also want to savor these last few weeks of being a family of two, of being pregnant, of life in the present--even if it is a very cold present! I don't want to overlook the blessings of today. Just like once she is here, I will want to hold onto each moment with her for I know in a blink of an eye they will pass quickly, too.

So today, and the in the days to come, I will enjoy the present. I will cuddle up with my husband and drink hot chocolate. I will relish my stretchy pants that are so comfortable with an ever growing belly. I will soak up the warmth of the fireplace, and then probably turn it off because I get too hot. I will continue to unpack and create our nest. I will rejoice in each day and be glad in it, for each is the day that the Lord has made.

Spring is coming and I've never been more excited, but I also don't want to miss the opportunity to give thanks for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment