Monday, March 23, 2015

taste & see


I went outside earlier to enjoy some of the beautiful sunshine and encourage some Vitamin D synthesis. What a lovely day it is! The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, our windows are open, and I can hear my neighbor's wind chime when the breeze picks up on occasion.

I saw a neighbor as she was outside working in her yard. We met in the middle and introduced ourselves. She told me about her love for gardening and shared with me about some of the flowers starting to come up in our yard. I told her about Little Miss coming any day now, as if it weren't obvious, which meant we probably wouldn't be putting out a garden this year. She mentioned she planned to plant some tomatoes and I agreed that nothing is better than a fresh, homegrown tomato. She then went inside and came back with a few she picked up on a recent trip to the beach! We talked a bit more, went our back to our own yards, and eventually inside our homes.

Once inside I couldn't wait to slice up one of the tomatoes for a snack. Paired with a ripe avocado and sprinkled with salt and pepper, it was a delicious treat. There's something about sharing food with people that really means a lot to me. This weekend we had the opportunity to grill out with some of Dustin's family and also spend time around the table with a few from our Sunday school class. I realize fellowship doesn't always involve food, but isn't it great when it does?

Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones or maybe it's just me being sentimental (or a combination of both) but I just wanted to share and savor this memory. In {Psalm 34:8} the psalmist writes:

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. 

Today I tasted His goodness in a fresh, ripe tomato shared by a sweet neighbor. I can see His goodness in the beautiful weather we are experiencing and in the generosity of another. What a blessing these moments are! How often I let these gifts of His goodness pass by without thanking Him. There will be days when the sun isn't shining. When staying inside is the only option. When a special snack may not make the cut on the agenda. Even then I hope I slow down and acknowledge that He is still good. For now, I will give thanks for today, taking time to taste and see His goodness. 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet glimpse of God's grace and goodness! Too often we let these moments pass by without appreciation or acknowledgement, but I want to fight to be thankful in them anyway. Incidentally, you now have me wanting to munch on tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete