Tuesday, June 16, 2015

a one pan plan: skillet chicken

Hello blogworld! Long time, no see! Since my last post, we have welcomed our sweet girl into our world. Life as I knew it has completely changed! What a blessing she is to our family. Miss Charlotte Lee has brought us so much joy the past two and a half months! I can't believe it has been that long.

I've been trying to find easy recipes with easy clean up since having Little CC. This is a recipe that I have prepared THREE times in the past week! Dustin was out of town last week so my mom came to stay with us. She raved about a recipe her friend had followed from People Magazine so I wanted to try it out. The first night it was good, but I knew we could tweak a few things to make it even better so we did it again the next night! I enjoyed it so much and couldn't wait for Dustin to try it when he returned home. Last night I prepared it for him and he loved it! Here's the recipe with our adaptations, along with a link to the original.



Skillet Chicken
adapted from Jessica Seinfeld's Skillet Chicken

{Ingredients}
1 yellow onion, sliced
4-5 medium Yukon gold potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
3/4 tsp black pepper, divided
1-2 tbsp ground coriander
5 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Crumbled feta cheese

{Directions} 
Preheat oven to 425*. Scatter onions on bottom of cast iron skillet. Place potatoes over onions and drizzle with EVOO. Season with about 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Place rosemary on top of the potatoes. Combine the remaining salt and pepper with the ground coriander in a small bowl. Rub spices on chicken, making sure to season beneath the skin also. Place chicken skin side up over the potatoes. Roast for about 1 hour, or until chicken is fully cooked and potatoes are tender. Top with feta cheese crumbles during the last 5-10 minutes of roasting.

What I love about the recipe:
- simple, real ingredients: After tasting it, I would have thought more than just 9 ingredients went into the dish
- easy preparation: The most time consuming part was peeling and slicing the potatoes
- one pan plan: This makes for easy clean up
- great flavor from the coriander and chicken: I really love coriander so I enjoy the use of it in this recipe. Even if you are not usually a dark meat kinda person, give it a try with the chicken thighs!
- great texture from the chicken and feta: Leave the skin on, it crisps up so nicely and gives a nice crunch. The feta adds a creaminess to the dish

Let me know if you give this recipe a try! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment