Friday, January 30, 2015

glimpses of grace by gloria furman



One of my goals for 2015 is to read at least one book a month. My sweet friend Sophie gave me a copy of the book Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman & I wanted it to be the first one I completed this year. I love when a book challenges you & this one definitely does just that. Gloria is a pastor's wife, mother of four young children, and lives in the Middle East where she and her husband are planting a church. Talk about having your hands full!?

In Glimpses of Grace Gloria acknowledges how easy it is for us to look around at the mundane in our lives & neglect to see the grace in the midst of it. She provides practical examples of everyday life for a wife or mother and provides them with a gospel perspective. Whether your work is primarily in the home, outside the home, or a combination of the two-- this book speaks applicable truth for each of us. One part that really struck me is when she quotes Paul Tripp:

"If God doesn't rule your mundane, then he doesn't rule you. Because that's where you live."

When we think where we live, it often isn't as glamorous as the magazines and movies depict it. Instead it is full of mundane. The sink is overflowing with dishes. The toilets need to be scrubbed. The laundry is piled up like Mount Washmore. The refrigerator is smelly from leftovers forgotten. The floor is in need of a good sweeping. The grocery store lines are never ending. The driver in front of you won't pick up the pace. Our attitudes are often in need of adjusting. Yet in all of these situations, how do we react? Do we take the time to slow down, notice the grace we are given, praise the one who gives it, and respond with thanksgiving? I must admit my initial response to a combination of any of the situations above is often frustration, worry, and selfishness rather than patience, peace, and praise. Gloria said it beautifully: 

"The source of our faith, hope, love, joy and gospel-grounded optimism is God himself and not our stuff or circumstances." 

I could give excerpt after excerpt, but then I would be quoting the entire book. My suggestion-- read it for your self. When we are studying, discussing, and applying the gospel, our eyes are often opened even more to those glimpses of grace around us. Colossians 3:17 is such a wonderful verse that I probably should post somewhere in our home for constant reminding:

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

One book down, 11 more (at least) to go. Do you like to keep track of your book list? If you do, we have that in common and you may enjoy the free app goodreads! I installed it on my phone a couple years ago but never really did anything with it until a few weeks ago. I have enjoyed placing books on my virtual bookshelves-- ones I have read, am currently reading, and would like to read. I also made a shelf for Baby C. I like that you can see what friends are reading and also give recommendations. I would love to connect and see what books you're enjoying or would like to read!



No comments:

Post a Comment